Pages

Quilt Top by Me, Hand Quilted by my Mother, Doll crocheted by my Mother

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Spring and Lilacs

I love spring, I love watching Mother Earth awaken from her Winter nap... The colors of spring are so pretty, there is the yellow of the forsythia, white shows on the Bradford pear trees, the peach trees are flashing their shades of pinks and soon the Azaleas will be in full bloom as I have seen the buds showing their colors of magenta, pink, peach and white... But alas I live in Florida and I am still learning what loves this area... My lovely northern tulips just won't do anything here as no freeze in the winter for them... the daffodils did bloom, but not like the ones I had up north... I miss my tulips, I had thousands of them around my house in the north that would signal springs arrival.. The other plant I miss is my Lilac bushes, I had four of them in my yard and you just needed to open the back door of the house and it would fill with their lovely scent... I always cut a few and had them on the table to bring spring into my home... But here they just don't grow... I tried... I have heard there is a version of the Lilac that would do well here, but I haven't found any yet...

I can't have the scent of my fresh Lilac so I did the next best thing yesterday.... Lilac scent filled my home. No I didn't find a home spray that was Lilac and no one sent me fresh Lilacs... I made Lilac bath products.... There are three of us that just love Lilacs.... My Mother In Law, My Step Daughter and of course Me.. Mel had gotten some Lilac bath products for Christmas, but they were lost in the fire.. so I decided to make some items for both of us..  So last night my kitchen became my lab... I started with Lilac bath salts, Lilac soaps, then some Lilac bath gel and finally some Lilac lotion... when I was done the house smelled like a spring day....plus I now have lovely Lilac bath products to keep springtime a little longer...

                                                   Lilac soaps in the mold
                                                         Packaged Lilac soaps
                                                              Lilac scent and colors
                                                   Lilac lotion in the making
                                                           Lilac bath gel 
                                           and the finish, Lilac bath salts, with Lilac lotion, Lilac bath gel and Lilac Soaps... I am now ready for Spring....Lilac everywhere or at least in my bath...

3 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Wow! You were very productive! Lilacs do not do well here either. To get tulips to bloom here, I put the bulbs in the refrigerator for 6 weeks prior to planting in the late fall. It seems to fool them enough that they sprout and bloom in the spring. You might want to give that a try some time.

Jessica said...

Mmmm I also love lilac... I'm envious of all of your lilac =P!

http://thankfullga447 said...

You are in full swing, I love your idea. I need to do soap bars, I have a lilac tree at my house, it blooms only every other year. they did great last year.